Water can cause a lot of damage since it penetrates structural cavities and creates entrapped saturation pockets. Saturation pockets facilitate mold growth, deteriorate building materials, and cause significant property loss. This is the reason you need to act quickly and contact your local water damage restoration firm in Kansas City, MO to start restoration work as early as possible if you experience water damage of any type.
In the next few sections we’ll look at what contaminated water actually contains, an overview of tasks to be performed during water damage restoration, and a brief insight into sewage backups and precautions you need to take.
Flood water can contain a toxic soup of nasty contaminants, including things like:
- Decaying insects
- Soil bacteria
- Fluids and oils from roadways
- Pesticides and fertilizers from fields and gardens
- Animal and human fecal matter
- Pathogen-laced substances
Restoration work should be started immediately to prevent the risk of serious health problems.
What does water damage restoration consist of?
The following items should be part of every water damage restoration project:
- After the task of water extraction is completed by the restoration firm, you need to make sure the building structure is safe to enter.
- If contaminated water is absorbed by porous materials, such as drywall, it is better to throw it away instead of attempting restoration.
- Wet insulation as well as damaged walls and base molding should be removed to gain access to pockets of saturation. This will help the restoration company properly clean, sanitize, as well as dry them.
- Exposed materials (such as joists and studs) and wall cavities should be cleaned using a detergent solution via pressure washing. After a thorough cleaning, a disinfectant solution should be applied.
- Another priority task would be prevention of mold growth. Since mold flourishes where organic material (like particle boards or paper) is present with a moist environment and temperatures in the range of 68OF and 86OF, it will be necessary to control the temperature and humidity by using dehumidifiers and dryers.
- It will also be necessary to bring down ambient moisture levels before attempting any kind of reconstruction or rebuild. This is crucial to prevent continued structural damage as well as dry rot.
If your home is flooded by water that contains sewage, immediate water damage restoration is required. It is crucial to prevent the health risks sewage inflicts due to toxins and disease causing viruses, fungi, and bacteria.
As per the IICRC, in situations where sewage is a concern, a few of things to keep note of would include:
- Highly absorbent things like carpet or bedding that have been saturated with sewage-tainted water require cleaning using hot water (around 130OF) for at least ten minutes. If this isn’t possible it needs to be disposed off.
- Avoid entering the home unless the area with contamination can be fully sealed off.
Looking for a water damage restoration firm in Kansas City, MO? Contact us at ServiceMaster DSI! We have many years of industry experience and expertise to handle such emergencies. Call us at 800-954-9444.