Natural calamities such as floods can cause a lot of damage to your home and belongings. In Overland Park, KS, this can make water damage restoration necessary to preventing further deterioration. Today we will look at the flood–proofing methods of using floor elevation and flood damage resistant materials, which can help reduce the risk of flood damage to your home.
What is Floor Elevation?
- You’ll need to make sure that the minimum floor elevation achieved is at least (or higher than) the 100-year flood level (also called the base flood elevation) in the region
- The new foundation should be properly designed so that it can withstand sideways (lateral) forces such as fast flowing water currents as well as the impact of different waterborne debris
The procedure of elevating a building involves the following steps:
- All utilities are disconnected by professionals
- The home is lifted off the current foundation by house movers
- House movers jack up the house to its new height and create a temporary foundation
- Utilities are temporarily reconnected to make sure the home is livable until the new foundation work is complete
- A temporary staircase is built up to the new height of the house
- The new permanent foundation is built
- The house is lowered by house movers onto the foundation and properly connected using anchor bolts
- Utilities are permanently reconnected
- A permanent access stair is built
- Use of Flood Damage Resistant Material
Such materials need to be utilized for floors, walls, and any other sections of your building that are located under the base flood elevation. Some such materials include:
- Pre–cast concrete and concrete tile
- Decay–resistant lumber
- Cold–formed steel and pressure–treated wood
Ceiling and Wall Materials
- Concrete blocks, stone, brick, porcelain, and metal
- Reinforced concrete and cold–formed steel
- Polyester epoxy paint and marine grade plywood
- Hollow metal doors
- Closed cell insulation
If a flood has damaged your home and you’re looking for professional assistance to start water damage restoration in Overland Park, KS, you should contact us at ServiceMaster DSI.
Our experts have the required certification, experience, and latest equipment to perform water damage restoration with the highest level of dexterity.
All you have to do is contact us on our customer support number at (800) 954-9444 and provide a brief outline of the problem you’re facing. Our restoration professionals will get back to you right away and get started on restoring your home.