Water leaks can result in many different health problems, mainly caused by the resulting mold growth. Water leaks can also damage your property and belongings. In such situations, only experienced water damage restoration firms in Kansas City, MO can help in rectifying the problem and restoring things back to normal.
Due to the damage water causes, it’s important to prevent such water damage from occurring in the first place. In the following sections, we will look at some of the reasons for water damage and the steps you can take to fix the resulting damage.
- Water Heater Leaks
The likelihood that a water heater will burst or leak increases dramatically after it is five years old. Additionally, about three quarters of water heaters tend to fail before reaching twelve years of age.
- Perform an inspection of the anode rod present in the water heater every two years, and after the warranty expires, do the inspection every year. The rod can corrode with time and make the tank more vulnerable to any type of damage.
- You should also flush the tank every six months in order to remove sediment; sediment builds up quickly in regions that have hard water.
- Roof Leaks
In a study conducted by IBHS, it was found that roof leaks were a common reason for water damage.
- Perform a roof inspection on annual basis.
- Repair missing or cracked shingles, as well as missing granules.
- Repair flashing if it has deteriorated near vents and chimneys.
- Sink Leaks
Nearly 44% of all sink leak incidences are due to problems in plumbing supply lines.
- Check the plumbing under the sinks every six months.
- Look for kinks in plastic or copper pipes, as these could result in pinhole leaks after some time.
- Check the water shut-off valve every six months to ensure that it’s working properly. If necessary, replace the valve.
- Drainage or Plumbing Supply Leaks
It is estimated that a house thirty years old is three times more likely to have some type of drainage or plumbing supply issue.
- Check for any type of condensation, corrosion, or leaks in pipes.
- Immediately get in touch with a plumber if water is rust-colored, if the flooring is getting warped, or if the toilet is backed up.
If you have already suffered any type of water damage and are looking for a water damage restoration company in Kansas City, MO then you need to get in touch with us at ServiceMaster DSI. We have the required training and expertise to perform water damage remediation as per the ANSI/IICRC S500-2006 standard. All you need to do is give us a call at 800-954-9444 and our experts will get in touch to understand the problem you are facing and rectify it.