Hoarding is a complex, emotional condition which can result in an unsafe or unhygienic environment in the hoarder’s Leawood, KS, home. Just as the condition is complex, so is hoarding cleanup. Thankfully, the experts at ServiceMaster DSI are here to help.
Today, we’re going to explore the complexities behind hoarding disorder and learn how professional hoarding cleanup addresses these complexities and helps to reclaim a home.
Why People Hoard
Hoarding disorder is characterized by a compulsive need to accumulate items and an inability to discard them. The idea of parting with their belongings, or even trash, often causes severe anxiety in the hoarder. Hoarding disorder usually presents itself in older people who have experienced some type of trauma or loss in the past.
Over time, the person suffering from compulsive hoarding accumulates an abundance of items that result in a lot of clutter in the house. The situation can become so out of control that the hoarder and family members find it difficult to live a normal life and safely perform daily chores inside the house.
The Problems that Arise Due to Hoarding
Hoarding is considered a serious issue since it results in problems such as the following:
- Safety and Health Risks: Clutter resulting from hoarding creates safety and health risks. The risks of illness, fires, and structural damage increase because of compulsive hoarding
- Homelessness: Court orders can result in eviction and emotionally painful homelessness for the hoarder
- Deterioration in Relationships: Relationships with family members and friends deteriorate when hoarding becomes a problem
Benefits of Hiring a Professionals for Hoarding Cleanup
Our trained and experienced technicians are compassionate about the work they do. They understand that hoarding behavior doesn’t come from laziness or a lack of moral fiber, but rather a complex emotional issue. They also understand that removing items from the home causes severe anxiety in the hoarder which is why we make sure to keep them comfortable throughout the process.
We will work with the hoarder, their support network, or any health professionals to create a cleanup plan that is effective without causing significant anxiety in the hoarder which may result in them shutting down.
Ensuring Effective Hoarding Cleanup
Hoarding cleanup is difficult and presents a variety of obstacles. To ensure effective cleanup, we take the following steps:
- The first thing technicians do is streamline the procedure so that all the tasks can be carried out as planned
- Experts also shred paper documents that are not required, and take steps to clean up the debris and junk
- After the clutter is removed, the home is cleaned and disinfected to make it livable
- We also treat any biohazardous issues found in the home such as mold, rotten food, or dead animals
As we can see, hoarding cleanup is a difficult task that requires professional expertise and experience. The technicians at ServiceMaster DSI of Leawood, KS, have the training, knowledge, and experience to accomplish this task in a compassionate manner. If someone you know is struggling with compulsive hoarding and is ready to reclaim their home, give us a call at (816) 527-9412 or fill out a service request form online to schedule your cleanup today!