A fire will damage your house as well as its contents, and after the fire is extinguished, you have the risk of secondary damages from smoke, soot, and water. As such you need to act quickly and call your local fire restoration firm in Kansas City, MO to start damage control and restoration work.
Why is it necessary to take urgent restoration steps after a fire?
According to the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification, there are several reasons why it is necessary to act urgently on water and smoke cleanup:
- Immediately after a fire, things made of plastic turn yellowish, and small appliances discolor due to soot residues.
- Within hours, metals which are uncoated will get tarnished, and finishes on furniture will discolor.
- In the following days corrosion and rusting of metals will begin, and soot staining of clothing and upholstery will become permanent.
- In a few weeks, permanent discoloration might occur for synthetic carpets, and glass products may get so etched that you will have to replace them.
Tasks after the Fire is Doused
According to the NFPA, fires cause property damage worth billions every year, and in this scenario, restoration companies can reduce the amount of secondary damage you have to face after a fire. Some of the tasks which are performed by these companies include:
- Prevention of Mold Growth: Mold growth can start within 24 hours if water extraction and restoration work is not started immediately after a fire. It is also important to bring down relative humidity (RH) levels close to 50% to prevent mold growth. To accomplish this task, high power fans as well as dehumidifiers are utilized to rapidly dry up the affected area.
- Secure Your Home: Firefighters cut holes in walls as well as the roof and break windows to quickly extinguish the fire. The restoration company can provide content storage and board up services to thwart further damage and secure the area.
- Smoke Odor Removal: If not taken care of, smoke odor can linger in your home for years. Fire restoration companies utilize specialized equipments such as thermal foggers and ozone generators to permanently remove smoke odor from your home.
- Fix Air-tightness Issues: Restoration work will also involve having a specialist check and fix all air-tightness problems. Air-tightness will ensure that any remaining contaminated air does not seep into the breathing air of your home through ceilings, walls, or floors.
At ServiceMaster DSI, we strive to provide professional fire restoration services to residents of Kansas City, MO. Our experienced and certified technicians can easily take care of any adversity you might be facing. All you need to do is contact us at 800-954-9444 and our experts will reach your home within the shortest period of time to initiate restoration work.