A fire will result in serious damage to your Kansas City, MO home and belongings, mainly due to the effects of the heat, flames, water, and smoke that accompany it. In such a situation, it will be of critical importance that fire restoration work is started immediately to prevent further damage.
As such, let us look first at the necessity of hiring a professional restoration company to take up the work, and then at a checklist of steps you need to take right after a fire.
Why do you need to hire a professional restoration company?
Firefighters often cut holes in walls to trace out hidden flames. They will also make holes in the roof in order to let out smoke and heat. Thus, clean up and restoration work can be quite an arduous task that only professional restoration firms will be able to handle.
The restoration firm will also provide pack-out storage, content storage services, and board-up services so that your belongings can be stored safely while the restoration work is being performed. These services also help to protect your home and belongings from further damage.
Checklist of Steps to Take After Fire
The U.S. Fire Administration has provided some useful information about the steps homeowners need to take after a fire. Let us go through the details here:
- Step 1: You need to get in touch with a local disaster relief agency like Red Cross. They can assist you with temporary accommodation and help you arrange for other necessary things, such as medicine and food.
- Step 2: Contact your insurance company to inquire how a list of your damaged or lost things is to be prepared.
- Step 3: Confirm with your fire department that it is safe to enter the home. Even when you’re allowed to enter the home, you should be careful since the walls and floors might not be as safe as they appear.
- Step 4: The fire department will shut off the utilities in your home (electricity, water, and gas) in case it is not safe to use them. You should not try to turn them on until notified that it is safe to do so.
- Step 5: Get in touch with your mortgage company regarding the fire.
- Step 6: If it becomes necessary to leave the home, let the police department know that the home will remain vacant.
- Step 7: Store all receipts of expenditure in relation to fire losses. These will be required to claim your losses during your next income tax assessment. They will also need to be provided to your insurance company.
- Step 8: Check with the IRS regarding any special benefits you are entitled to receive while recovering from losses due to a fire.
If you have faced the effects of fire damage recently and are looking for a fire restoration firm in Kansas City, MO, then ServiceMaster DSI is the company you need to get in touch with. They can start restoration work on an immediate basis.
We have the required expertise, equipment, and experience to complete your restoration work quickly and efficiently. As soon as we receive your call at our emergency hotline (800-954-9444), our experts will reach your home and start work.