Severe storms can result in significant damage to your home that will require professional storm damage cleanup to make things normal again. Storm damage cleanup firms generally provide different services such as debris cleanup, emergency board up services, and content storage as part of their disaster restoration services offered in Overland Park, KS.
Our aim today will be to look into the sewage problems you may face after a storm and the steps that cleanup professionals will take to rectify the situation and make your home livable once again.
Sewage Contamination During Storms
Heavy rainfall during tornadoes and severe thunderstorms can result in flooding, which brings along sewage.
After a storm, problems with your sewage system can also arise. If a dosing pump runs the septic system and there is no electricity, the pump will not function. In such a situation, a sewage backup may occur if the septic tank fills up.
Cleaning Sewage Spills and Sewage Contaminated Items
The following procedure is utilized by storm damage cleanup professionals to clean items that have been contaminated by sewage:
- Hard surface floors, walls, and other surfaces are cleaned using soap and water and a bleach solution is used to disinfect all surfaces
- After the cleanup and disinfection procedures have been completed, the affected area and items are thoroughly dried to prevent mold growth
- If clothing and linens have absorbed sewage, these are washed in hot water or dry cleaned
- If fibrous insulation, fiber board, and disposable filters from your air conditioning and heating system have come in contact with sewage, they will be replaced
- All carpets will be steam cleaned
- If there is anything that cannot be washed, it will be thoroughly air dried and disinfected
- Anything that cannot be cleaned will be disposed of—for example, mattresses, upholstered furniture, and wall coverings
Cleaning Sewage Spills Outside the House
- In the case of a sewage spill outside the house, storm damage cleanup technicians will utilize garden lime to disinfect the area
- Lime is sprinkled over the affected surface and left for a day, after which time the deposit is raked up and kept in trash bags to be disposed of properly
- After the cleanup procedure is complete, the area is washed using clean water and allowed to dry
If your home has been affected by a storm and you’re looking for a professional firm to take up the task of storm damage cleanup, you need to get in touch with us.
The experts at ServiceMaster DSI have the necessary equipment, cleaning solutions, and experience to carry out such cleanup tasks with the desired level of competency.
All you have to do is contact us on our disaster restoration helpline at (800) 954-9444 and our team of experts will immediately reach your home in Overland Park, KS, to analyze the situation and start cleanup work.