Often it happens that a fire starts out as something small and insignificant but ends up resulting in losses worth thousands of dollars. The reason is that fires tend to double in size every minute and spread rapidly. If your home has been damaged by fire, you need to get in touch with an agency for smoke and soot removal in Kansas City, MO to prevent further damage and deterioration of your belongings.
Preventing Fires Due to Electrical Malfunction or Failure
Electrical failures are often the cause of fires and result in property loss, injuries, and deaths. Most electrical fires can be prevented by taking these simple steps:
- Repair or replace loose or damaged electrical cords.
- Do not place extension cords under carpets or across doorways.
- Where needed, have additional outlets installed so the use of extension cords can be avoided.
- Make sure outlets are not overloaded. Plug-in only a single high wattage appliance at any time.
- In case you face problems such as tripping circuits, flickering lights, blowing fuses, or an outlet feels warm, you need to immediately call an electrician to find the issues causing the problems.
- Lamps should be placed on a level surface, and you need to keep them away from combustible items. When replacing a bulb, install a bulb that does not exceed the wattage recommended by the manufacturer.
- Ensure that ground fault circuit interrupters are installed in your home for locations such as the basement, laundry, bathrooms, outdoor areas, and kitchen.
- Another fire prevention step would consist of installing arc fault circuit interrupters for protecting all the electrical outlets.
Preventing Grill Fires
About 67% of all cooking fires occur when cooking material or food catches fire, and almost 79% of grill fires occur when gas grills are used. The following tips can help prevent grill fires:
- Any type of grill, regardless of the fuel it burns, should be used outdoors.
- Ensure that the grill is kept away from deck railings and siding.
- Properly clean the grill to avoid the buildup of highly flammable fat or grease.
- Dispose of coals into a metal can after they have completely cooled.
If you have suffered property damage due to fire and are looking for a firm for smoke and soot removal in Kansas City, MO, call ServiceMaster DSI immediately at 816-763-6677. Our technicians have the required equipment, certification, and years of experience in performing the restoration work required to bring normalcy back into your life.