If your home suffers severe damage due to a fire, you will require the help of professionals for the proper repair and restoration of fire damage in Prairie Village, KS. Be cautious when hiring a repair and restoration company, however, as con artists are always on the lookout for such opportunities and may try to scam you.
Stay Alert – Avoid Scams
Avoid Falling Prey to Scams
You can avoid falling prey to scams by keeping note of the following details:
- Check the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website to make sure there are no complaints lodged against the company.
- Do not accept any “special offers“ that require you to provide a credit card number.
- Get a sworn statement from the restoration firm which states the company has paid all the subcontractors and also made payment for materials used. This will help protect you from liens on your home or property in case the subcontractors or suppliers have not been paid.
- Check to ensure the company has worker’s compensation as well as general liability insurance, and also check the company’s license number.
- Do not hire a company which asks for full payment upfront. Also, make the final payment after the work is completed and you are satisfied with it.
- Avoid signing any “consent of owner” statement. According to this statement, it will be your responsibility to pay for final expenses on labor and materials if the contractor fails to make payment.
Know Your Rights – Cooling Off Rule
According to the cooling off rule, in case you opt to receive repair and restoration services worth more than $25, you have the right to cancel the contract and receive a full refund.
The repair and restoration company should provide you with a form which can be used in case your want to cancel the contract. There could be any reason for canceling the contract, but it will be necessary for you to cancel in writing.
You need to sign and then mail it to the company and ensure that it is postmarked before midnight of the 3rd business day after the contract was made. In case of any problems, you can report them to the FTC at or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP.
After your home suffers fire damage in Prairie Village, KS, you will be looking for a reliable and professional firm to perform the required tasks of repair and restoration work.
This is where ServiceMaster DSI comes in. We are the best company to hire since we have the required certification, equipment, and expertise to perform the needed restoration tasks and meet all quality standards.
All you need to do is contact us at our emergency hotline number: 800-954-9444. Our experienced technicians will quickly respond, assess the degree of fire damage, and create an immediate plan of action for the restoration work.