Kansas City is smack dab in the middle of tornado alley, making it one of the area’s most at risk cities of experiencing a tornado. After this month, the chances of a tornado forming will decrease, but for now the city faces the most dangerous month of all: “Tornadic May.” Even small tornadoes can cause substantial damage and leave you in need of serious damage restoration for your home or business. At ServiceMaster DSI, we provide reconstruction services in Kansas City to remedy May’s tornado damage.
Nearly 22% of all recorded tornadoes in the U.S. happen in tornado alley during May. The number might seem small, but it’s the country’s largest percentage of tornado formations for both the month and the location. This means that the damage from May tornadoes can be greater than all of the damage from the remaining months put together.
There are some precautions you can take to help minimize tornado damage to your home or business:
- Keep doors and windows shut to protect the interior from flying debris. It’s a myth that opening your windows will protect them from shattering.
- Secure your furniture using L brackets, corner brackets or aluminum molding. These methods secure heavy furniture directly to the wall, but you can also use eyebolts to attach furniture to the wall at a short distance.
- Secure your large appliances (especially your water heater) using flexible cable or braided wire. Metal strapping also works to secure appliances like ovens, dishwashers, water heaters, or water softeners.
- Store hazardous chemicals so they won’t spill or leak anywhere in your home in the event of a tornado. You should keep these materials away from emergency supplies and in a well-ventilated, locked cabinet.
- Turn off all electrical, gas and water systems before a tornado strikes. If these systems are damaged by a tornado, they can lead to more home damage from flooding, corroding, or fire.
Being aware of the potential damage and how to secure your home before a tornado is the best path of action this May. If you encounter storm damage, you can rely on ServiceMaster DSI for reconstruction services in Kansas City, MO. Contact us today!