Compulsive hoarding can seriously impair mobility and create interference in day-to-day activities such as cooking, sleeping, and showering. Moreover, it creates a dangerous living environment. If someone in your family is struggling with hoarding and is ready to reclaim their home, you’ll want to call a professional hoarding cleanup firm, like ServiceMaster DSI in Olathe, KS, so that a plan of action can be developed for cleaning the home and ensuring that the hoarder is comfortable.
There are several other reasons why professional help will be necessary to clean a hoarder’s house. We will delve into the details in the following sections.
Why is it necessary to appoint professionals for hoarding cleanup?
#1 Expertise to Examine the Degree of Hoarding
Professional hoarding cleanup experts have a complete knowledge of the five levels (with Level 1 being the lowest and Level 5 being the most severe level of hoarding) that are used to determine the degree of hoarding found in any house. Technicians will utilize this knowledge to develop a cleanup strategy.
#2 Knowledge of Different Assessment Categories of Hoarding
The professionals can also divide each hoarding level into five different categories in order to analyze the severity of the hoarding in a home so that the appropriate cleanup procedures can be performed. These categories include:
Category I: Structure of the House
- Examination of the entry and exit points to determine how severely they are blocked
- Analysis of electrical, plumbing, and HVAC system to determine whether they are working properly
Category II: Pests and Animals
- Evaluation of animal control and care
- Analysis of compliance to state animal regulations
- Determination of pest infestations (such as insects or rodents)
Category III: Household Functions
- Review of accessibility, functionality, and safety of rooms
Category IV: Safety and Health
- Evaluation of the level of sanitation in the house
- Examination of how prescribed or over-the-counter drugs are handled in the house
Category V: Personal Protective Equipment
- Determination of what type of protective equipment (such as eye shields, gloves, and face masks) will be needed to carry out cleanup
#3 Professional and Compassionate Process
Our hoarding cleanup experts take the required steps to clean, de-clutter, and disinfect the house. They will also help re-organize all the rooms so that the storage and available space can be better utilized.
Our experts will perform such cleanup in a discreet and compassionate manner in order to put the hoarder at ease. We will work with the homeowner’s mental health support professional to ensure that the process is as stress-free as possible.
If your relative or friend in Olathe, KS, is struggling with hoarding and is ready to take the next step in recovery, contact ServiceMaster DSI for professional hoarding cleanup. We have the training, experience, and equipment to perform professional and compassionate cleanup. Just give us a call on our customer support line at (816) 527-9412 and our experts will immediately reach your home and begin work.