Fire Damage Restoration and Soot Removal in Leawood, KS and a Few Preventive Steps That Can Reduce Your Risk of House Fires

Fires can be quite destructive and they can cause significant damage to your property. But you can protect your valuable belongings from further damage by hiring a firm to provide fire damage restoration and soot removal services in Leawood, KS.

Today we will focus on some preventive steps you can take to prevent a fire from starting in your home.

Steps to Prevent a Fire in Your Home

9Volt Batteries

These batteries are generally utilized to power toys, smoke alarms, and other household items. They are common in most homes. However, 9-volt batteries can become a fire hazard if they’re not properly stored or disposed of.

Why 9-Volt Batteries are Considered a Fire Hazard

  • In 9-volt batteries, the negative and positive posts are quite close and if any metal object comes into contact with both posts, it can result in a short circuit. This short circuit would generate the required heat for starting a fire.
  • Even weak batteries tend to have sufficient charge left in them to start a fire if thrown into the trash alongside metal items.
Proper Storage and Disposal of 9-Volt Batteries to Prevent Fires

By properly storing and disposing of 9-volt batteries, you can reduce the risk of a fire starting in your home:

  • Store loose batteries with the posts covered properly with electrical or duct tape.
  • Avoid storing 9-volt batteries with other batteries in the same container.
  • Do not throw the batteries away with the trash, since they could touch metal or other batteries.
  • Before disposing of the batteries, cover the posts with tape.

Portable Medical Oxygen

The use of medical oxygen in homes is increasing, and with it, so is the risk of house fires. The percentage of oxygen in the air increases when medical oxygen is used to help a patient breathe properly.

However, oxygenenriched air also means that if a fire starts, any material that is burning will generally burn more quickly.

Fire Prevention Tips

A few simple steps can help reduce the risk of fires in homes where medical oxygen is used:

  • Avoid smoking in the house, since medical oxygen will help things ignite easily and the resulting fire will burn faster than normal.
  • Oxygen cylinders should be at least five feet away from open flames, heat sources, and electrical devices.

If you’re searching for a reputable firm to salvage your belongings and restore your property after a fire, at ServiceMaster DSI, we can take up this task and complete to meet your expectations.

With decades of experience in fire damage restoration and soot removal in Leawood, KS, we know the different procedures to be followed for each type of fire.

You can get in touch with us at 913-262-1384 to provide the details of the situation at your home. Our restoration professionals will visit your home and start restoration work on an urgent basis.

 

3 thoughts on “Fire Damage Restoration and Soot Removal in Leawood, KS and a Few Preventive Steps That Can Reduce Your Risk of House Fires

  1. This is some really good information about fire damage.I like what you said about how batteries can be a fire hazard. It does seem like it wouldn’t be a good idea to know what can create even more damage.

  2. I want to make sure that I avoid fires in my home. I didn’t know that batteries could actually cause fires! I’ll be certain to dispose of them correctly from now on. I wouldn’t want to deal with fire damage, after all.

  3. Wow I had no idea that 9-volt batteries could cause fires like that. I’ve always stored them with other batteries, so I’ll make sure not to do that anymore. It’s crazy to imagine that so much damage can be prevented through such simple steps.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *