Heavy rains and the associated flooding can do a lot of damage to your home and belongings. Also, the contaminated water will make your home uninhabitable. If your home suffers flood damage, you’ll need to take immediate action and appoint a credible water damage restoration firm, like ServiceMaster DSI, in Overland Park, KS, to start working on your home because further delay will only lead to other problems such as mold growth.
In this blog, we’ll look at how water damage mitigation experts determine what should be discarded and what can be salvaged when restoration work starts.
Deciding What to Discard or Restore
In instances of water damage, experts rely on their experience when deciding whether it would be better to discard in item or to put forth the effort to restore it.
Let us look at some crucial decisions they have to make when they find that there are water soaked carpets in a home.
- Cost of Restoration: Water damage restoration experts will try to analyze how expensive the carpets are. In cases where the carpet isn’t very expensive, it would be better to discard it since the expense of drying the carpet will be nearly the same as what you will have to spend on purchasing a new one.
- Type of Water Source: Water damage cleanup professionals will also look into the type of water that flooded your home: Category 1, 2, or 3 water. If the water was way too contaminated then experts will usually discard the carpet instead of attempting a restoration.
- Duration of Flooding: Experts will also look into how long the carpet has been wet. If it has been wet way too long, it will be better to discard the carpet.
- Carpet Pad Density and Delamination: Experts will also check to see how dense the carpet’s pad is and whether water damage has delaminated it.
If this is the case, water damage restoration experts would suggest a replacement rather than investing more time and effort into restoring it.
- Age of Carpet: If the carpet is newer, restoration experts will have a better chance of restoring it.
It’s clear that the experience water damage restoration experts have proves to be quite valuable. They’re able to accurately judge whether it would be possible to restore a particular thing or not, and as a result, will help minimize the losses you have to face.
If you’re looking for an experienced water damage mitigation firm to carry out restoration work at your home then ServiceMaster DSI is here for you. Our experts are well-versed in performing restoration work and also have access to the proper equipment to carry out the work as efficiently as possible. All you will have to do is contact us at (816) 527-9412 and we’ll send a team of certified professionals to start restoration work at your home in Overland Park, KS.