Biohazard cleanup is a complex task that requires special expertise, and as such it should be left for experienced and qualified firms such as ServiceMaster DSI in Overland Park, KS, to handle. The experts will follow OSHA’s bloodborne pathogens standard to ensure that cleanup is performed in the right manner, remove any risk of exposure, and make sure that blood and other potentially infectious materials (OPIM) are disposed of properly from the site.
Our aim today is to go over some of the main benefits of utilizing the services of professional firms for this task. We will also review how experts ensure that the work is performed in the best possible manner.
The Benefits of Utilizing the Services of a Professional Firm for Biohazard Cleanup
Some of the benefits of appointing professionals for such cleanup include:
- Knowledge of Biohazardous Wastes: Biohazard cleanup professionals are aware of the different categories of biohazardous wastes, such as solid and liquid biohazardous wastes and biohazardous sharps, and how these are to be handled.
- Adherence to Standards: Professionals will ensure that OSHA’s bloodborne pathogens standard is followed while cleanup work is performed.
- Proper Exposure Control Plan: Experienced agencies have a detailed exposure control plan in place for any eventuality.
- Knowledge of Which Disinfectant to Use: Experts are aware of which disinfectants are capable of preventing the spread of diseases.
How do experts ensure that this task is performed in the best possible manner?
Professional firms make sure that cleanup work is performed correctly by taking the following steps:
Step #1: Utilizing Different Devices
Technicians make use of devices that help in the removal or isolation of hazards from the incidence site. Such devices include:
- Self-sheathing needles
- Containers for the disposal of sharps
Step #2: Implementing Appropriate Work Practice Measures
These measures help reduce the chances of exposure by defining how any specific task is to be performed. For instance, suitable work practices are followed for the clean up of contaminated items and surfaces as well as for the disposal of contaminated sharps.
Step #3: Making Use of Necessary Personal Protective Equipment
Personal protective equipment (PPE) has an important role to play in preventing the spread of infection. As such, clean up firms ensure that cleaning professionals use the right PPE while performing cleanup work. Such PPE consists of:
- Eye protection
Step #4: Employing Proper Labeling
Proper labels are used by technicians on containers and bags that contain regulated wastes, blood, and OPIM. Such labels help warn cleanup professionals and others about hazards that they need to be wary of while handling such bags or containers.
If you require biohazard cleanup services in Overland Park, KS, you should get in touch with ServiceMaster DSI. Our experts have the necessary certification, experience, cleaning products, and equipment to carry out this task in the most appropriate way.
All you have to do is give us a call on our emergency response center number at (816) 527-9412.